Indecent Digit: FAMILY FUN TIME: Musical Year In Retrospect/Desert Music

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

FAMILY FUN TIME: Musical Year In Retrospect/Desert Music

Greetings,
Seeing as I've been posting music reviews up here lately, I thought some of you regulars might be interested in getting to know my taste a little better. That way you can choose to accept or ignore my reviews with a more informed opinion about me. To that end, here is a list of my favorite releases from 2005, as well as list of my top 10 "desert island picks" that I had to compile for a recent newspaper article. I realize that not everyone is going to agree with my choices, and that it opens me up to virtual ridicule, but if it can turn even one person on to a band they'd never heard of before then I'll be pleased.

Top Releases of 2005

31 Knots-Curse of Longest Day (ep)/Talk Like Blood
Ryan Adams-Cold Roses/Jacksonville City Nights
Bloc Party-Silent Alarm/Silent Alarm Remixed
Coldplay-x&y
Death Cab for Cutie-Plans
Decemberists-Picaresque
Dungen-Ta Det Lugnt
Elkland-Golden
Fall Out Boy-From Under Cork Tree
Franz Ferdinand-You Could Have It So Much Better
Kasabian-Kasabian
Kent-Du & Jag Doden
Matt Pond pa-Several Arrows Later
Maximo Park-Certain Trigger
Minus the Bear-Menos el Oso
Okkervil River-Black Sheep Boy
Open Hand-You & Me
Sigur Ros-takk...
Stars-Set Yourself on Fire
Wolf Parade-Apologies to Queen Mary


Top Reissues:

Converge-Petitioning the Empty Sky/When Forever Comes Crashing...
Elvis Costello-King of America
Manic Street Preachers-Holy Bible


Top Albums Only Available Overseas (at time of list creation):


Arctic Monkeys-Singles
Art Brut-Bang Bang Rock n' Roll
Editors-The Back Room
Elbow-Leaders of the Free World
Magnet-Tourniquet
We Are Scientists- Love & Squalor

Desert Island Picks

Radiohead-OK Computer
Kent-Hagnesta Hill
Fugazi-Repeater
Jawbox-For Your Own Special Sweetheart
Sunny Day Real Estate-Diary
Refused-Shape Of Punk To Come
Yes-Fragile
The Beatles-White Album
Jimmy Eat World-Clarity
Jawbreaker-24 Hour Revenge Therapy


Thanks for indulging me.

Mr. Biscuits

6 Comments:

Blogger Johnbai3030 said...

Rebuttle avast.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Mr. Biscuits said...

Not a bad list at all there. A lot of those came very close to being on mine as well if they were not actually on there.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a) CHEATER! TWO ryan adam's and 31 knots cannot count for ONE pick. LAMO!

b)where the hell is sufjan stevens

to rebuttle dude:
that books album is on my list. maybe not number one...but pretty amazing nontheless...

-fresh blood

6:38 PM  
Blogger Mr. Biscuits said...

Blood.

Seeing as it was my list, I got to make my own rules.

And Sufjan came close....

6:43 PM  
Blogger Johnbai3030 said...

Blood and Biscuits,
I think we all agree on a few albums and disagree on a few more, which means I'll have some interesting things to go check out. But where is Fresh Blood's list published?

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right here and cheat-free:

Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
Lucero – Nobody’s Darlin
GoGol Bordello – Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike
Antony and the Johnsons – I am a Bird Now
The Jim Yoshii Pileup – Picks Us Apart
The Decemberists –Picaresque
Sigur Ros – Takk…
Devendra Banhart – Cripple Crow
Death Cab for Cutie- Plans
The Mountain Goats – The Sunset Tree
Matt Pond PA – Several Arrows Later
Broken Spindles – Inside/Absent
Des_Ark – Loose Lips Sink Ships
Maria Taylor – 11:11
The Books – Lost + Safe
Okkervil River – Black Sheep
Get Him Eat Him – Geography Cones
Hockey Night – Keep Guessing
Explosions in the Sky – How Strange, Innocence
Maximo Park – A Certain Trigger

Honorable Mentions:
Of Montreal – Sunlandic Twins
Aqualung – Strange and Beautiful
Sun Kil Moon – Tiny Cities
Stars – Set Yourself On Fire

Top EPs:
Iron &Wine – Women King
Autopassion – Is a Tedious Dialogue
Jimmy Eat World – Stay on My Side


heart.
fresh blood

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home